Tuesday, June 22, 2010

When Irish Guys Are Smiling by Suzanne Supplee

When Irish Guys Are Smiling (S.A.S.S.) When Irish Guys Are Smiling by Suzanne Supplee

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really like this series because they tend to feature strong and smart female protagonists that learn a lot about themselves while traveling and studying abroad. I love that I can share these books with my young teenage cousins and feel good about it. This is another great installment that I will happily pass along to young female readers. This particular installment follows Delk, a young girl trying to escape all of the changes in her life following the death of her mother. She goes to Ireland for a semester and learns just as much about herself as she does about the country. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to any teenage female, particularly one interested in studying abroad or travel. If you're a parent of a teen girl, this is the kind of series I would recommend you give to her. While Twilight might break the ice and get a girl into reading (if she's reluctant in the first place), this is the kind of series you want her to read ultimately. Teen girls should have positive and strong female characters to look up to and emulate and these books almost always deliver that.

No comments: