Monday, December 31, 2007

Books Read 12/07

This is a list of books I finished reading in December of 2007.

73. What I Really Want to Do is Direct by Yvonne Collins 12/9/07
74. Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk 12/18/07
75. G'day to Die by Maddy Hunter 12/23/07
76. Norway to Hide by Maddy Hunter 12/27/07
77. How Not to Spend Your Senior Year by Cameron Dokey 12/29/07

First up is What I Really Want to Do is Direct. Here's the thing. I read Speechless by Yvonne Collins and loved it so I was really looking forward to this book. It turns out, however, that I didn't quite enjoy this one as much. I learned a lot about how movies are made though, so it wasn't a total loss. Part of the problem is that I've been on a mystery kick recently so I've not been reading a lot of chick lit. I think I was in the mood for a mystery when I picked this one up so it was at a serious disadvantage. Don't get me wrong, though, there were several things I liked. For example, I love that the main character thinks she knows exactly what she wants out of life and her career but reconsiders when it isn't all she thought it would be. I liked how genuine that felt. It's weird because I think the book would have been even better if there hadn't been a love interest as a major plot point. It would have been an excellent novel without it, but the authors were aiming for chick lit and I think that actually boxed them in a bit. Overall, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't a keeper for me either.

Then, I read Haunted by Palahniuk. After finishing the book, I felt conflicted. I loved loved loved the cover of this book, but I wasn't sure about the pages beneath it. It wasn't a bad book, but it was my least favorite Pahalniuk book so far. Truthfully, I really enjoyed 3 of the short stories included, but the rest weren't as shocking or as haunting as I was hoping for. I truly feel the cover of the book could give me nightmares long before any of the short stories included in the book. But, maybe I have a high tolerance when it comes to shocking stories. Not a keeper either, but I'd love to have the cover as framed art. It really works for me!

Next, I read the Maddy Hunter books. They were the highlight of my month by far! I love Maddy Hunter's Passport to Peril series. They have yet to disappoint me. I can't rave enough about them. Both were excellent and the entire series is a keeper. If you like travel, mysteries, and comedy then you should read these books. They've got it all and with memorable characters to boot. Excellent series!

Lastly I read How Not to Spend Your Senior Year. It was a fast read and enjoyable. It was different than what I imagined. First up, the main character Jo and her father are in the witness protection program, which I thought was hella cool. Then, they are asked to fake their deaths as part of their protection plan. Even better! From there, things get a little odd but if you just read it and let it happen, it is entirely enjoyable. Not a keeper for me, but one of the better books I read this month.

My favorite book this month would probably be Norway to Hide. It's is so closely followed by G'day to Die though that it may as well be a tie. But, if I had to choose just one, I think Norway to Hide would just barely eek out a victory. My least favorite book would be Haunted even though it has the greatest cover ever! The stories just weren't what I was expecting.

Number of books finished in December 2007: 5
Number of books finished in December 2006: 8

No comments: